Tuesday, March 16

Project Preparation

Went grocery shopping today, seeing as there really are no vegan alternatives at home. Picked up some fruits & vegetables (because obviously, that's definitely a safe thing to go with) as well as some pasta. But the most difficult part of my shopping adventure was selecting the foods that'll replace my current animal-produced-meals.

Soy milk is not a big deal, I prefer soy milk over cow's milk any day.
& same goes for ice cream; I'm not a huge fan of the real-deal, I'd much rather take Tofutti's soy ice cream any day.
Plus, I have a thing for tofu.

I picked up some soy yogurt -- I'm figuring if I already dig soy milk & soy ice cream, how different can soy yogurt be from those two?
I think my biggest downfall is going to be cheese. Frankly, cheese is my Achilles' heal when it comes to food. I found a cheese substitute, but I'm not looking forward to giving up dairy-cheese.

The bill came to $41.
I was semi-shocked & assumed that only strictly-vegan purchases could ever cost that much & that it's 'unfair' that animal-friendly food alternatives should cost so much more than their counterparts. When I actually looked at the receipt, it's because I purchased fresh fruits & vegetables -- not because these vegan products are so outrageously priced. My vegan mac&cheese is $1.09 more expensive than Kraft's mac&cheese; My soy milk was $1.17 more expensive than cows' milk; My soy yogurts were (each) $.20 more expensive than my previously purchased brand of yogurt; My pseudo-cheese was $1.40 more than deli-cut cheese; and my Bocaburgers were a surprising $3.30 CHEAPER than beef burgers.
In all reality, my bill cost me a total of $.96 more than if I had purchased all non-vegan products.
Not bad if you take the time to do the math.
& if I would have looked around for coupons, I'm sure I could have actually saved a good deal.

Plan for tomorrow includes:
Vegan-friendly Banana French Toast for breakfast & a Bocaburger for diner.
I'm undecided on lunch, but it'll probably be a light pasta/vegetable salad.
I'll have recipes tomorrow.

Maybe this experiment might not be so bad after all.
(I guess it depends on the cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment