Thursday, March 18

Day Two

Breakfast
I actually slept in a little later than I wanted to today, so I didn't exactly have enough time to get up & make a new batch of breakfast. Instead, I just reheated some of the banana french toast from yesterday. I'm not too completely happy that I duplicated a meal already, but I'd rather do that than skip the meal all together. The banana bread really didn't change at all within the 24 hour period, so I have nothing new to update on the actual food or its taste.

One thing I noticed is that I was excruciatingly hungry between breakfast & lunch. Normally, this never happens when I eat my "regular diet" which I find somewhat interesting. But on the positive note, the nausea I complained about yesterday is gone (so I'm not contributing that to my new vegan diet). I'm just hoping this unsatisfied hunger doesn't stick around for the entire week. I'm really not too cool with that.

Lunch
Whipped up a rather light lunch today, seeing as I wasn't able to eat until later in the afternoon. It was a nice vegan miso soup which I've always enjoyed. I substituted spinach in place of the more traditional onion, seeing as I really want to make sure I'm getting a legitimate amount of iron.

Vegan Miso Soup
Beef Soup
-4 cups Water
-1/3 cup Miso
-2 tablespoons shredded Spinach
-1 tablespoon shredded Nori
-1/2 block Tofu (cut into small cubes)




-Ground Beef
-7 cups Water
-1 can condensed Beef Broth
-3/4 cup chopped Onion
-1/2 cup chopped Celery
-2 cans Diced Tomatoes
-1.5 cups sliced Potatoes
-1 cup Carrots
-2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce

Now, I know these soups are obviously quite different -- the Miso is not meant to be super-filling while the beef soup is more-so geared to be a dinner-esque meal. But sometimes I do enjoy having it for lunch, should there be leftovers at home. I also thought it was an interesting cultural comparison in that the Japanese influenced Miso is pretty much minimalistic in comparison to the Pennsylvania Dutch influenced beef soup...

Dinner
I'm completely unsure on dinner, especially seeing as I need to be at work in half an hour. I'm considering adventuring out to find a place that has vegan-friendly food while on my "lunchbreak" at work, but I have a very funny feeling that's going to be easier said than done.

UPDATE:
Yeah, I didn't even bother with fastfood chains for dinner. I'd probably get lucky with just a plain salad (because I'm sure the croutons contain Parmesan cheese, plus I can't have cheese, & some select salad dressings). & frankly, I hate salads... Ironic, eh?

Instead I just made a really super late dinner. I really didn't cook up anything or followed a specific recipe. I just tossed some tofu, broccoli, & snap peas into my fry-daddy (with vegetable oil, of course) & cooked up some vegan mac & cheese that I picked up from the grocery store. My fried concoction tasted delish but I really can't say the same about the mac & cheese... Vegan mac & cheese is probably one of the most disgusting things on the face of the earth. The consistency of the noodles was really bizarre & the pseudo-cheese sauce was a flavorless mixture of sludge. I don't think I'm going to ever pick that up again.

& I've noticed I've had the most ridiculous migraines today. I don't know if its allergies (which seems a little early for them already), the fact I haven't had a whole lot of caffeine today, or if it's what I heard about becoming vegan... From what I remember, the initial transition from animal protein & heme-iron to strictly plant protein & non-heme-iron can cause headaches. I'm going to have to do more research on that before actually coming to a conclusion as to what these migraines are caused by.

No comments:

Post a Comment